Beard Season is committed to protecting your privacy.
Our Policy reflects the changes in the Privacy Act 1988 that came into effect 12 March 2014.
This policy sets out how Beard Season (we) will handle (collect, use, store and disclose) personal information in accordance with the National Privacy Principles under the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy law) and the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
It describes how we will do this in light of who we are and our mission to champion the early detection of melanoma – one of the world’s deadliest cancers. You can find out more about the National Privacy Principles by calling the Office of the Information Commissioner on 1300 363 992 or through their website at www.oaic.gov.au
Beard Season is committed to protecting your privacy and we are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012. We collect, store and use some of your personal information to help us on our charitable mission. Only authorised staff have access to your personal information: it remains confidential and is only used for appropriate purposes and in accordance with this policy.
Unless you give us consent to do otherwise, we will only collect and use your personal information as set out in this policy.
3.1 DATA COLLECTION
3.1.1 THE TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT
This depends on the type of Beard Season initiatives you support or enquire about.
Personal information collected by Beard Season may include:
- Your identification and contact information – name, address, email address, phone number, mobile phone number;
- Your date of birth, gender, income, occupation;
- Your donation and payment details;
- Where relevant, your employer details
(for example if you participate in workplace giving);
- A history of your transactions, correspondences and interactions with Beard Season if relevant, and details about your personal interests.
Please note, if you choose not to provide us with certain personal information, we may not be able to process your donation or provide the information you request. Of course, you always have the right to request us to remove your details from our database.
3.1.2 HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
There are a number of ways we collect information from you. These include:
- Directly from you when you provide information by phone, in person, via our website, or response forms;
- From our own records of your transactions and interactions with Beard Season;
- From publicly available sources of information;
- From third parties who organise fundraising activities on our behalf. These parties are also bound by the Australian Privacy Principles;
- From a third party known to you who makes a donation and nominates you as the recipient of communication regarding that donation.
- Face to face communication or when you correspond with us via email, online surveys, social media messages, voice messages or image recordings.
3.1.3 HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
Your personal information may be used:
- For the immediate reason for which you have given it: for example, to enable us to process your request (e.g. gift, payment, registration, subscription, change of details) including issuing you with a donation receipt;
- To maintain contact with you about our work, encourage you to learn about and act on supporting Beard Season or let you know about other opportunities to give financially;
- To let you know what our partner organisations are doing (unless you have specifically asked us not to);
- To confirm your identity when you make enquiries about your donation;
- To address any feedback or complaints you may have and to answer your queries;
- For any other purpose related to our work.
It may also be used for:
- Any purposes for which the information was requested;
- Purposes directly related to the above purposes.
Your information will not be used for any purpose to which you would not reasonably expect us to use the information provided. We will not disclose your personal information to other organisations except for our core business purposes. Most importantly, we will not rent or sell your personal information.
To help reach more generous supporters like you, occasionally we may collaborate with other charitable organisations on mailings with information that we believe may be of interest to you. These organisations usually allow us to do the same, and by collaborating like this we can reach more people with vital charitable information.
In order to reduce operating and administrative costs, we may securely transfer data to organisations located outside of Australia to produce printed material and electronic communications. These organisations must also comply with, and not breach, the Australian Privacy Principles and are bound by tight agreements which protect your privacy.
If you wish to reduce such mailings please call, email or write to us at the address listed at the end of this policy.
3.1.4 WHEN WE DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to communicate with you in relation to the activities of Beard Season, we may disclose your personal information to external organisations to help facilitate our correspondence and fundraising activities with you.
We care for and value the security of your personal information. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure any external organisations we partner with are contractually bound to privacy and confidentiality obligations in relation to your personal information and that it is only used for the specific purpose for which we disclose it.
These organisations are also bound to adhere to the privacy requirements under the relevant legislation and are bound to destroy or de-identify information after using it for a specific activity.
3.1.5 WHO WE MAY DISCLOSE YOUR INFORMATION TO
In addition to the external organisations which help facilitate our correspondence and fundraising activities with you, we may disclose your personal information to:
- An authorised legal representative nominated by you;
- Our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- Government authorities if/when legally required to do so.
3.1.6 HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
We will keep and use your information after you have provided a donation or interacted in some other way with Beard Season. How long we hold and use the information after you have ceased donating or interacting with us will depend on the type of interaction you had with Beard Season and any requirements under law.
It is also our policy to:
- Permanently de-identify personal information where reasonable and possible;
- Destroy personal information once there is no longer a legal or business need for us to retain it.
3.2 PRIVACY AND THE INTERNET
3.2.1 PROTECTING INFORMATION PROVIDED VIA THE INTERNET
Our site uses security encrypted response forms when personal and financial details are requested. These forms are subject to compliance requirements with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI-DSS) as well as the privacy principles.
However, it should be noted that no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure. Therefore, we cannot give an absolute assurance that the information you provide to us over the internet will be secure at all times until it is received into our database. Beard Season cannot be held responsible for events arising from unauthorised access to your personal information via the internet.
3.2.2 LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
We may provide links to websites outside of Beard Season. These linked sites are not under the control of Beard Season, and we are not responsible for the conduct of companies linked to our website. Before disclosing your personal information on any other website, we advise you examine the Terms and Conditions of those websites.
3.2.3 ONLINE ADVERTISING AND TRACKING
We use third-party tracking cookies and similar technologies to collect and use data about user activities on our sites. Third-party vendors, such as Facebook and Google whose services we use, place these cookies and similar technologies on web browsers to help us tailor advertising we think may be of interest to users based on past visits to our site.
We use similar technology to track the performance of our website and user activity in order to improve the experience on our site. You can opt out of the tracking services we use by following these links:
- Google Analytics: download a browser based add-on called HotJar
3.2.4 STORAGE AND SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Beard Season will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep secure any information we hold about you (whether electronic or hard copy), and ensure this information is accurate and up-to-date. This includes complying with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard, which covers security of payment card
information. Your information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities. We require our employees and data processors to respect the confidentiality of any personal information held by us and abide by our confidentiality policy and procedures.
3.2.5 RIGHT OF ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
If at any time you want to know exactly what personal information we hold about you, you are welcome to access your record by contacting us at the address below. Our file of your personal information will be made available to you within 30 days. You have a right of access to the personal information that Beard Season holds about you. Requests for right of access should be addressed to the Chief Operating Officer (please note that a $25 fee may apply on the delivery of your information in order to cover administrative costs).
3.2.6 REDUCING COMMUNICATIONS, OPTING-OUT OR MODIFYING YOUR INFORMATION
You may wish to change personal information that is inaccurate or out of date. If you wish to do so, or if you want to change any information that you have previously given us, or if you want to reduce, or opt out of future communications, you can either:
- Email a request to Beard Season’s Communications and Marketing Manager, Jimmy Niggles at jimmy(at)beardseason.com
3.2.7 ENQUIRIES, FEEDBACK OR COMPLAINTS
If you believe that information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, or if you have concerns about how we are handling your personal information, please contact us and we will seek to resolve those concerns.
If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to delete it unless we need to keep it for legal, auditing or internal risk management reasons. If we become aware of any ongoing concerns or problems concerning our privacy practices, we will take these issues seriously and work to address these concerns. If you have any further queries relating to our
- Email a request to Beard Season’s Communications and Marketing Manager via gday(at)beardseason.com
3.2.8 CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
We may make changes to this policy from time to time without notice.
If you have any further questions, please get in touch.